Heydon village is a thriving rural community of around a hundred residents, which has its own pub, a tea shop , bakery and floral design and artisan store. The village has an active community, which puts on a series of activities and events throughout the year.
Heydon is mentioned in the Domesday Book (1086) and is recorded as having been under the Lordship of Whither, a Saxon from whom William the Conqueror took it and gave to William de Warrene who fought at the battle of Hastings. In the 13th century Thomas de Heden was resident at Heydon. The Estate was sold in the early 15th century to John Dynne who built the present Hall. In 1756 Heydon passed to the Bulwer family in whose stewardship it remains today.